NEWS & ASSOCIATION UPDATES
LAST CALL: Submit Your Benchmarking Survey by TODAY
Today is the final day to submit your benchmarking survey worksheets! It is also the last day that your physicians can complete the AOA/AAO-HNS joint socioeconomic survey. It imperative that as many practices as possible complete these to create the best resource in otolaryngology. Take time today to complete your respective pieces. Download the worksheet and read the full instructions on the AOA website.
New I-9 Form Released July 17
Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services released a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, on July 17. Employers must begin using this form on Sept. 18, 2017. The Form I-9 is used to verify a new hire's identity and work authorization. All employers must ensure that each employee properly completes the I-9 at the time of hire.
Revisions to the instructions:
- Relatively minor revisions, such as changing the name of the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices to its new name, Immigrant and Employee Rights Section.
Revisions to the list of acceptable documents:
- Adding the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) to List C.
- Combining all the certifications of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545, Form DS-1350 and Form FS-240) into selection C #2 in List C.
- Renumbering all List C documents except the Social Security card.
Learn more and download the form on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' website.
AOA-35 ANNUAL EDUCATIONAL CONFERENCE
Attend the AOA-35 Tuesday Evening Out Event
Maximize your time in Las Vegas by networking and connecting with colleagues and vendors during the Tuesday Evening Out Event. Generously sponsored by Fuel Medical and Oticon, the Evening Out Event will take place at Topgolf. This exciting game is like golf paired with darts-like scoring. No golfing experience is needed to have a blast at this event! Your ticket gets you unlimited Topgolf games, a delicious buffet-style dinner, two drink tickets, endless fun and networking, and amazing views of the Las Vegas Strip. Choose the ticket quantity at the top of your registration to join in on the much-anticipated Tueday Evening Out Event. Guests must be 21 to attend. If you already registered for AOA-35 but would like to add on your ticket, please contact the AOA Office.
I Sorted My Files But What Do I Work On First?
After last week’s Manager Minute, your desk should be relatively clear and your files organized. But that pesky Working Folder is still in the middle of your desk waiting for attention. Here are a few tips to organize your tasks:
- Organize your tasks and documents by their completion date, not by the date they were written. If that date isn’t obviously shown right on the top of the first page, write it on there so you don’t have to sort through a pile and read them all to find the one you need to do first.
- Put the soonest due date on top and sort down from there so the first thing you see when you open the file is the first one you need to do.
- Try the “43 folder” method for sorting:
- Create 12 folders (one for each month of the year) plus 31 additional folders (one for each day of the month).
- Put this month’s folder on top followed by the 31 day folders (if a month has less than 31 days, move those extras to the bottom of the pile until needed) followed by the rest of the month folders.
- Sort all items requiring your attention and put them in the correct month folder.
- At the beginning of each month, remove all the items due that month and put them in the exact day they are due folder.
- Each day, open your folder for that day and complete those tasks. If you have extra time, work ahead. If a project will take more than a day, put it in a folder a week ahead of when it is due. (Instead of putting just a due date on a long-term project, put a start and due date on the top and slide it into the start date folder.)
The key to 43 folders is to make sure you complete each task when it is due and not get behind. Think about the little smile of satisfaction you’ll have every now and then when you open your folder for the day and it’s empty because you already finished everything!
Don't Take a Vacation from Education
Vacations are great - advancing your career is better! This summer, don't let your education fall by the seaside and obtain your Certification in Otolaryngology Practice Management (COPM) or Certification in Otolaryngology Practice Management - Corporate (COPM-C). Commit to otolaryngology practice management excellence by taking the COPM/COPM-C exam this year. If you are interested in obtaining the certification but aren't sure what to expect, there will be a COPM study group session open to all attendees on Sunday, Sept. 17 at AOA-35 in Las Vegas. Earning your COPM proves your commitment to lifelong learning and verifies your knowledge of running a successful practice. Check out this complimentary webinar recording from the AOA COPM Advisory Board and learn more on the AOA COPM/COPM-C webpage.
Educate yourself and your office with AOA webinars. Learn about several upcoming titles below. Visit the AOA Webinars page to register. Secure your education for 2017 with the 2017 AOA webinar subscription for the low member rate of just $349.
Aug. 9 @ 1:00 p.m. Eastern | "HIPAA Compliance: Texting and Emailing with Patients" presented by Jim Sheldon-Dean
Aug. 30 @ 1:00 p.m. Eastern | "Audigy Webinar Series Part I: Making Sense of Medicare" presented by Debbie Abel
Oct. 11 @ 1:00 p.m. Eastern | Audigy Webinar Series Part II: "Cracking the Code" presented by Debbie Abel
Oct. 25 @ 1:00 p.m. Eastern | "Audigy Webinar Series Part III: Itemizing Hearing Aid Services and Third-Party Payers" presented by Debbie Abel